Monday, April 5, 2010

Prayer



Prayer. The topic has been on my mind a lot lately.

There was a specifically poignant time in my life in college, because of the circumstances, that I was praying constantly and deeply all day long in my mind and in my heart. I had so many questions, and so many things going on within myself and without. I remember waking up in the mornings with the first thoughts of my day being in prayer. And even though that time in my life was so difficult and taxing emotionally and spiritually......I really miss the seemingly constant and incredible open line of communication I had with heaven at that time. I learned so much in those days. My learning seemed to be excelled and deepened in ways I never thought it would. My relationship with my Heavenly Father and Savior became so real and so personal and so meaningful. I never felt so close to heaven so often as I did then.

During this time I was able to have a lot of alone time. And I'm an alone time kind of person. I need it and when I was single and especially when I was in college I had an abundance of it and I loved it. That was when I'd really talk with Heavenly Father and think about life and decisions and anything and everything I wanted to think about. It was when I'd run and play music and write; all things that made me feel centered, inspired, and close to heaven. It was when I'd think of others and try and do things for them. It was my Spirit time; if that makes any sense: )

So now here I am with a husband and two precious girls. It's been five years since that time. Five years that have flown by in the blink of an eye. Five years that have been amazing and eye opening, full of love, and seriously fun: ) But also five years of more and more responsibilities and distractions and less and less "Spirit time". I've known somethings been missing, not completely, but definitely significantly, and I've known it's been that deep meaningful, constant connection with Heavenly Father and Christ.

So when the beginning of this year rolled around I knew what goal I wanted to make. I wrote it in marker on a blank piece of paper and stuck it on the wall by my bed.

Strengthen and deepen my relationship with my Heavenly Father and Savior through increasing and improving my prayers.

And I've been working on it, but I'm definitely still in the 'working on it' process. I've known this before, but it's becoming even more evident that it is incredibly tricky to find any alone time once you have a husband and a couple kiddies running around the house. And honestly thinking about my quality and quantity of "alone time" as a mom is quite comical most of the time, until I realize just how much I need it! : )

So I guess here's the purpose of my posting, and because I believe we all have soo much to learn from one another I wanted to ask all of you: How do you guys do it? How do you make prayer meaningful in your life? How do you make sure your really connecting with heaven every day? What things do you do to make sure you get that alone time when you have a screaming baby, hungry family, dirty dishes, and laundry up to your ears? (I could go on right?: ) How do you continue to maintain and deepen your relationship with your Heavenly Father and Savior?

I have some ideas I'm going to try out, but I thought it would be awesome and helpful to hear how you guys do it. So let me know. I can't wait to hear: )

Prayer: The Souls Sincere Desire by Mary E. Edmunds just thought I'd share an awesome talk I listened to this morning while we're on the subject: )

*As a side note that I wasn't sure where to put in: That time in college when I was so close to heaven and constantly praying was a really difficult time where I was praying almost out of necessity to make it through the trial. But these last five years have been so peaceful and happy and mostly trial free. So the issue also comes to mind, "How do we still make prayer real and sincere and meaningful when things are going so great in our lives?"

8 comments:

Ruth said...

I love Mary Ellen Edmunds. I have one of her books. She is a funny lady. She came to Snow one time. Thanks for the encouragement.

Jeana said...

This is a great post and a wonderful reminder for me to do better with my prayers. I totally get what you're saying, going through everything with Kaelyn brought me so close to Heaven as I prayed for her little life. Now that things are going great I just try to be sure Heavenly Father knows how thankful I am for every "peaceful" day we have. I find when I hold her close and close my eyes, I feel closer to Heaven than I ever have. Its like our little ones are a direct channel to Heavenly Father.

ritzbitz said...

Vandi, you are such a beautiful person inside and out. I don't have any answers, as ironically I have been working on the same thing, and still struggle with it. I will try to stay up late for a peaceful moment, but then you are so tired. So not sure it is working like I wish it would. i just remind myself that we are given time because progress takes time. At least that is what I tell myself! Thanks for sharing.

Englebright said...

I don't think I have any great advice, but I completely understand how you feel. I think it's really hard to maintain that communication when life is going so well and we are so distracted.

Getting my runs in lately has really helped me stay grounded and focused. I've also been trying to get to bed earlier so that I am more receptive to the spirit during the day. Other than that, I'm still trying to figure it out. I remember thinking spirituality as a mom would be so easy! What was I thinking?

I would love to hear your thoughts, and what continues to work for you. I think you are amazing. :) That's all.

Karen Whyte said...

Thanks for posting this topic, Vandi! I've been preparing a lesson on this topic for a few weeks. Your thoughts and experiences have helped direct my preperations down a new path. So even though your post was reaching out for suggestions...I think you've brought up points to help everyone who reads your blog.

Hepworth Family said...

Sometimes (not always) I will wake up early and take some time for me.
Exercise. Read my Scriptures for a moment. Take a nice long shower. I usually only get one in a day. ;) Sometimes it's hard to choose which one.

But I finally called upon the help of my Husband. Asking him for some alone time for myself. The times that he is able to give them to me I find myself drinking deeply from the scriptures. I know it's a big sacrifice for him to me and I love him even more deeply for doing it for me.

The last 4 months or so it hasn't happened. Priorities changed with a "sick-sick" baby. Now that things are starting to become more predictable, I find myself yearning for that time again. Trying once again to find the "balance" and making life go smoothly for me and my family. My bucket seems to be near empty and I long for the overflowing feeling of closeness to the Lord and our Heavenly Father. I too am trying something "new" this year. I am trying to give back to me. With 2 kids with such health problems I've given myself unconditionally for the last 5 years. Now I find my spirit in need of "rescuing" and rejuvenating. Hopefully my bucket will be full by the end of the year and my goal accomplished.

I don't think this is any help to you. But I hope that you know you've given me some strength by this to keep trying. To keep progressing and becoming a "Better Me". Thank you.

proudmamablogga said...

This may or may not help, but I suggest actually getting out alone, not just in one room while your kids are in the other. Take a class or a drive or a walk alone once a week. I have loved my dance class for many reasons, but one big one is the drive out and back alone. I get to listen to NPR and just think my own thoughts.

Banta Family said...

Thank you Vandi for the reminder. You are a strength to us all. I think that sometimes it does take us asking our husbands for some special times to ourselves. I think I'm going to try to get a few times this summer in down by the Lake reading my scriptures. Thanks for the idea!