Wednesday, February 23, 2011


A while ago, I sat on my couch by our big glass back doors.
The sun was shining through the windows landing on the carpet below.
I love days like that day.
But as I looked closer, I could see something else.
As the light flooded the glass, I could see a hundred little fingerprints.
I began twisting my head this way and that, and from every angle I could only see more and more fingerprints.

Now, I was not really surprised.
I gave up a long time ago trying to keep those doors spotless.

Or did I ever try?

Regardless, those fingerprints on that day were teaching me something other than
"Sheesh, lady! Get out the Windex and clean the windows already!"

I thought about something Brother Bingham had said while he stood in front of us Snow college students to give a talk on the one year anniversary of his seventeen year old daughter's death.

"I used to think God kind of watched us from a bit of a distance and didn't do much for or against us unless we asked for it in one way or another. Now, while I do believe he allows us our agency, I believe He has a plan both micro and macro. And we often cannot see His hand in our daily lives....but if we look a little closer we shouldn't miss recognizing all the fingerprints He's left behind."

It's was during that time in my life, my first two years of college, that I started to really recognize Heavenly Father's fingerprints; the way He was orchestrating my life.
The timing of events and experiences, the people brought in and out of my life, the placements, the thoughts and feelings that would press my heart and mind, the lessons I was internalizing.
Coming to know He loved me enough to be active and present in my life left me awe struck and amazed.

"Why would He do that for a young girl like me?"
Instead, I came to see, "Why wouldn't He, after all I'm His young girl, and after all isn't it His work and His glory to bring to pass the immortality of man....of me?"

I've been thinking about this a lot; God's fingerprints; His hand in my life.

And ever since I heard this talk, I've been wanting to record the experiences where I've seen His hand in my life in one spot; a book of fingerprints.


I've also wanted to share some of those experiences with you here.
I originally wanted to write a daily post about His hand in my life, but as the days have passed and I've been writing some of these experiences in my journal I've recognized that a lot of these experiences are too personal and even too sacred to share with the whole world.

But...

There are some I can share and want to share with you, so I will: )

In fact, I think it'd be pretty amazing if you started sharing some of your own "God's Fingerprint" stories too.

Now, that would be good reading: )

While I don't believe every single coincidence in our life is an act of God, I do believe that there are specific and meaningful, even very personal "coincidences" that truly are His hand, showing us He is right there. And He has been all along.

I know you've had them. I know you know they feel different. There is more going on than what appears at first glance, and if we'll turn our head this way and that and "look a little closer we shouldn't miss recognizing all the fingerprints He's left behind."

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow Vandi, this was beautifully written! Not only did it hit close to home because you talked about Snow College {woot!}, but it really got me thinking about His fingerprints in my life. It can sure make one grateful when you take the time to try and see how many times the Lord blesses you instead of complaining about the times that life doesn't go as planned. Thanks for this :)

Jase and Whitney said...

Vandi your posts are so inspirational. Thanks for sharing!

Karri Warren said...

This is an awesome post. I love hearing about the way that God has touched others lives. I feel the same way. There was one time that ty and I were really struggling to make ends meet. We has exercised every back up plan that we had and we were about ready to break down and ask for help from family. We had been praying so hard for help and just when I broke down and started crying, ty went and got the mail and in it was a check for 80$ because we had over paid on our escrow on our house. (I don't even know how that works because the escrow is automattically added into our monthly payments.) All I know is that was a whold handprint on my life. God is there for us in more ways than we can ever realise and you help me realise more and more ways every day. Thank you for being such an uplifting person. My life is better because I know you.

Unknown said...

That's awesome Vandi. Great insight!

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to be like you (since jr high) I love how you treat people and how you look at life. Thanks for being so inspiring!