Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Wowzers!

Well, it's been a crazy busy couple of weeks and despite the fact that I started blogging with full intentions of posting frequently I haven't posted in forever....my bad. But at least since the last two weeks have been jam packed with nonstop action I won't be lacking for things to write about. So our adventures began around the first of June when we headed to Lake Mead with our friends the Onkeses. It was a way fun vacation and Emyri was such a good sport. The drive took forever, about 10 hours, but emyri slept most of the time. So that was good, but I really started to think this taking a ten month old to the lake was a bad idea when we first got there and it was so hot you just wanted to strip down and jump in the water, seriously though I don't know if I've ever been in that hot of weather, but everything turned out great. We lathered emers in sunscreen at least four times a day, gave her tons to drink, made a shady spot for her to take naps with beach towels, and would spray her periodically with a spray bottle to cool her off. I was so proud of her. Everybody there kept saying how good of a baby she was. They were worried when they heard that we were bringing our baby, but seriously I think Heavenly Father blessed Emyri to be alright and even have some fun too, so it was great.

One of the neatest things about our trip was watching the Onkeses together and realizing how neat of a family they are. Chad and I learned a lot from being around them. They are some of the kindest and most fun people I've ever met. And they love to just be with each other. I loved watching them interact and laugh and talk together. One of the days was too windy on the lake so we ended up all going to Las Vegas together. We just hung out and went to all of the free things we could find. One place we went was to this huge fish aquarium with tropical fish. I learned so much about finding the amazing in the simpleness of life and about how a parent can make even the most simple thing be such a neat experience for a whole family. When we first saw the aquarium I just quickly glanced at it and thought that's pretty neat, okay what's next, but the Onkeses all sat down on a bench that was right next to the glass of the aquarium and started pointing out all of the cool things they saw. We ended up staying there for about an hour, but it was so much fun. Everyone kept pointing out cool things and saying how neat it all was. At one point Ron, their dad, turned to Mason their youngest son and said, "Isn't this so amazing Mas?" Mason just couldn't stop smiling. Chad and I talked about it later and decided we wanted to be the kind of parent who help our children discover the joy and amazement in the little and simple things in life. Life is always exciting for them because they find awe in it all. I'm glad I was able to be taught that little lesson. Chad and I also learned that making memories with your family is always worth it and will be the things you remember and talk about all your life.
Well anyway we stayed about five days then headed home. As soon as we got back to SV on Thursday night we went straight to bed then woke up Friday morning and headed over to the Jr. High track to help Chad's mom set up for the Relay For Life Cancer Walk. Chad's grandma died of breast cancer and his cousin Kory died of cancer at age 17 so a few years ago his mom started a team to raise money for cancer research and participate in the Relay For Life. The cool thing about Chad's mom is that she puts 110% into everything she does and she always makes things extra fun. Our team dressed up like pirates and sold plastic swords, eye patches, pirate balloons, candy, hot chocolate, burritos, glow stick bracelets, and other cool trinkets. Our whole team ended up raising about $5000 dollars. It was a neat event. Everybody's team takes turn walking around the track so that every team has a team member walking for a whole 24 hours. My mom watched emyri that night because it was so cold while we stayed and helped sell things and participate in the events they had going on. I even convinced Chad to enter in the Fear Factor competition and the best part is that....he won! He had to be one of the fastest at catching and eating a gold fish, had to put a puzzle together while being shocked by a shock collar, and then had to pull cheese off of a mouse trap without setting it off. I couldn't believe he won....it was so fun to see him up there. We got a hundred bucks out of the whole deal too. It was great. That night we slept at my parents and then woke up early the next morning to head back to the Relay to take our turns walking from 8:00 to 10:00. The early morning walk was actually really peaceful and I was grateful for the time to think. The night before I actually found a lump in my armpit when I was getting ready for bed. It seemed so ironic that I'd find a lump the night of the cancer walk. Even though we weren't sure exactly what it was and it could be a number of things it really made both Chad and I think a lot. We fell asleep that night worried and holding each other. Chad was really close to his grandma and after she died of breast cancer while he was on his mission I think he's been so much more worried and cautious about cancer. He's always telling me to make sure and get my mammograms and says we should go in and get checked for cancer just in case. The next morning we didn't talk about it much but we both thought about it a lot. I couldn't stop thinking about it all day, and even though I was sick to my stomach with worry sometimes it was like a peaceful feeling encircled us both and our love for each other and for life was so much deeper. Chad's been trying so hard lately to remember to read his scriptures and be better with prayers...so it was neat when the morning after finding the lump we woke up early and first thing Chad had us do was pray and read scriptures. Chad even said maybe Heavenly Father put that lump there to help him to change, because it really made him think about his life and what meant the most to him. (I love chad so much) Anyway, we decided that I'd go in first thing Monday morning and have it checked out. I wasn't able to get into my doctor until Wednesday. They had me do some blood work and they thought at first it was lymphatitis, an infection in my lymph node, but the blood work showed that everything was normal. The blood work apparently also would have shown if it was a tumor, so they think it's probably just an over sized lymph node. They just told me to watch it and if it gets any bigger to come back in. Even though this tiny lump was quite nerve racking for about a week, I'm grateful for the way it drew both chad and I closer to our Heavenly Father and closer to the spirit. It's funny how certain news can suddenly spin your world and really make you think, but also draw you so much closer to heaven.

(Anyway, jumping back to Saturday...sorry my thoughts are so random) After the Relay For Life ended at noon on Saturday we went home and showered and then headed to Rexburg to go to a going away party for some of our friends down there. It was tons of fun to see a lot of our friends from school and to hang out. I even found out that my good friend Ashely W. is having twins. I'm so excited for her. She had a miscarriage that was pretty hard for her this last January and it was neat to talk to her about it all. She said she just feels like she was supposed to have both babies in her home and that's why she is having twins. I'm so happy for her. Well we stayed the night there in our apartment then headed home early sunday morning to make it back in time for church. I sang in sacrament meeting with Chad's sister Kyrie (which is a big thing for me...I get really scared, but it turned out great and I was glad that I got the chance to overcome my fear a little more and sing in front of people) and then both chad and I taught lessons that day as well. After church Chad and I just sat down and took a breather. We'd been going non stop for so long that we were really grateful to have a little break. Even though it's been so busy, we've been so lucky to get to spend time together and with some of the people that we love most. Well, this is plenty long enough so I'm out for now. Hopefully I'll get to write again soon so I won't feel the need to catch up writing about everything. Life is amazing....
love vandi

p.s. Other Important news
*Emyri started officially walking on June 11th (it's so fun to see her wobble around)
*We're all registered for this upcoming semester (I'm doing a 20 hr. a week internship and we're both taking 14 credits and Chad's going to work part time....we're not sure how it's all going to work out...but somehow I guess it will: )
*My goal for this week is to organize our finances and our budget...a much needed thing: ) If anyone has any advice about how to best manage your finances I love to hear about it. thanks

8 comments:

Cami Jo said...

I don't think you know me, but I was down at Snow College the same time you were. I'm friends with Melissa Englebright, and I saw your name on her blog and thought I'd check yours out. (I only really know who you are because my husband- who I met down at Snow- was roomates with a kid named Jed, who totally had a crush on you!) Anyway- I think your daughter is adorable, and I absolutely love her name! I actually tried to convince my husband to name our daughter Emyri, but he really just wanted Mckenzie! Anyway- Cute blog.

Melissa E Photography said...

WOW! My two favorite girls connect through blogging. How cool is that?

What a month Vandi! I don't blame you for not updating your blog.. well I don't blame you much! (jk) I can't believe Em did so awesome at the lake. That would be hard on ANY kid.

That is crazy that you found a lump! How scary! I'm glad it turned out to be okay. And I wish I could've heard you sing! Love you Vandi!

Blake said...

You guys have been very busy! I'm glad to hear that your lump was really nothing. I need my favorite Vandi to stick around for a while.

We had fun with you and Chad this weekend. He is an amazing person. Missy and I always say that we wish you three lived by us so we could hang out more often.

I love reading your blog. Keep posting!

Blake said...

Hey, about finance . . . Missy and I pay 10% of everything we make to the Lord, 10% to us (in an account that we DO NOT TOUCH) and then budget from there. The "no touchies" account is great! You are basically buying peace of mind. Even though you don't spend it, you know it is there, and you don't have to stress so much. I highly recommend it.

Laura said...

Hey Vandi (I also got your address from Melissa's blog), but wow, you have had so much going on. And Emyri is getting so big. Anna told me that you guys were at the lake for a while. I hope that life slows down for you a little bit. Emyri sounds like she was amazing down south. I took Callie to Lake Powell when she was 3 months old, and that was pretty hard (and she wasn't even mobile then). Kudos to you.

proudmamablogga said...

Way to go, SINGER! Dani would NOT have done so well at the lake. You are brave, and I'm glad it worked out for you. Are you breastfeeding? Sometimes I get random lumps if she doesn't empty all the ducts. It usually goes away within a few feedings. Yours might be different.

proudmamablogga said...

P.S. REALLY wanted to see you while I was in SV (June 2-9). Right when you got back, I went to Utah for a few days before flying out. Judd and I will probably come together again in the middle of August. If you're not in school yet, we'll party.

Courtney said...

Hey Vandi!
Remember me from good old Snow College! You got me in to this blogging business; it's better than email. When I saw your request for advice on finances I had to let you know about the best book ever: The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. This book reinforces everything we hear at General Conference and it gives you step by step ways to handle your money. It's amazing!

I'm glad to hear that life is good for you. Take Care!