Thursday, September 11, 2008

*FALL*



Each year as the smell and feel of Fall comes around I can't help but smile. I love Fall. It reminds me of the start of a new school year and all the exciting feelings a fresh beginning brings. It reminds me of colorful changing leaves and crisp air. It reminds me of comfy hooded sweaters and worn in jeans. It reminds me of High School football, rowdy crowds, and crimson and gold. It also reminds me that the holidays are just around the corner; Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. It reminds me of all the traditions that surround the holidays along with laughter, family, fun, and memories of years gone by. Man, I love Fall and I love that I get to share it with Chad and Emyri.

Chad loves Fall because it means he can start thinking of what crazy character he wants to be for this years Halloween party. I think the official verdict for this go around is a "Crazy Ol' Prospector". Hence the picture.
This morning he told me we should dress Emyri up as a hobbit; hair on feet included: )
So much for the girly princess costumes that most little girls like to wear....last year she was a hunch back. The funniest little hunch back you've ever seen at that: ) At least she's original. And honestly, Chad's enthusiams for the holidays is one of those things I absolutely love about him. I shake my head and smile when the day after Christmas he tells me, "Only 364 more days until Christmas!" I know he's just joking around, but I also know there is a part of him that is excited that Christmas is only 364 days away: ) I just love knowing he will always make the holidays fun for our kids.

Chad also loves Fall because it reminds him of watching "Lady in White", "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles", "Christmas Vacation", and "Elf" with his family.


Although, recently we watched "Lady in White" for the first time in years and came to the conclusion that it has to be one of the corniest, most low budget films of the eighties, but at least we got a good laugh out of it: ) As a side note, we've also come to the conclusion that most movies you thought were totally awesome when you were little turn out to be some of the corniest, yet entertaining, movies ever made. For example: Never Ending Story I and II, Weekend at Bernie's, UHF, Labrynth, Big Trouble in Little China, the Garbage Pail Kids, and the list could go on and on: )

Anyway, now that I have a little girl of my own, I hope I can help her to love this change in season as much as we do. I hope we can carry on the fun family traditions we grew up with and even start some of our own.

So, I guess I'm wondering and gathering up some ideas. What kinds of traditions do you guys have for the holidays? What fun stuff do you do, what foods do you make, how do you decorate, etc. What is it that you love about Fall?

9 comments:

Alex Perry said...

That's hilarious, poor Emryi! I love fall also, Eryka and I have already set the house up for halloween and thanksgiving...I am a little excited :) It's such a cozy time of year, and I love it!!

Melissa E Photography said...

Haha! A hobbit? Now THAT is something I want to see.

I love fall too. I love the crisp in the air, the smell, and the sweater weather. I love chili on Halloween and back to school. And I'm a sucker for new school supplies! :)

Henderson Family said...

I love, love, love fall too. Randy is probably getting sick of hearing about it. I love the smell in the air. I love pumpkin spice candles and homemade bread. I love eating bread bowls and soup or chili. I love the beautiful leaves and I think this year we'll take Katie Marie up to the mountain to collect them. I love pumpkins and crisp apples, and I think we'll do carmeled apples this year and bake pumpkin seeds when halloween comes around. If we had a lot of big trees I'd rake up all the leaves and show Randy and Katie Marie how wonderful it is to jump in a big pile of them. I also love the sweaters and scarfs. I just wish fall would last longer. Ahhhh Anyway I am glad all is going well. It's good to hear from you again.

~Wyatt~Brittney~Brecken~Oliver~ said...

Hey, don't forget to email me! brittney.checketts@gmail.com, I also have another blog besides our private family blog, it is www.brittneysscentsations.blogspot.com!

I love Neverending Story too! Wyatt hates it and I am only allowed to watch it when he is NOT home!

Hailee said...

Hey I loved the pictures, and can't wait to see the final product. Things are good, and i have some exciting news to tell ya because i haven't put it on the blog yet, but Trav and I are expecting in April. Anyways, i still have my byui.edu address, but usually check my haileehanks@gmail.com more. Also i want to go see Jess Dalling baby and was wondering if you would like to go with me. Just let me know when is a good time if you want to go.

proudmamablogga said...

I think you should post a picture of the hunchback. That's funny. Pearl was Pebbles last year, and this year she is going to be a mini dentist.

We have gone to the pumpkin patch every year. I think I love it most ;).

Jeanne Evans said...

I love fall too...! One of the best things about fall is the corn mazes and such. And Thanksgiving is great too, since you get to hang out with the family. It's great!!

The Godfreys said...

your blog is so cute! are you guys still in rexburg?

Snidbits said...

All this fall talk makes me want to play night games...and we're not talking "fight games". Can spike come over and play?
Shwern