Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day #6- favorite super hero and why:
Can my super hero actually be a real person? I think yes, since there's no one here to stop me: )
This picture hung on the cinder block wall in the weight room of my high school my Senior year. Dave Draney was an amazing athlete, an Olympian hopeful at one point, and our high school weights teacher. He was one of the nicest, most genuine people you could ever meet. And he also had cancer. He worked so hard all his life to make his body strong and healthy and in the end had to have his leg amputated because of the cancer they found in his hip. You'd see him making his way around school with two crutches strapped to his arms and only one leg, but with a huge smile on his face. He taught us young kids a lot about life and about fight and courage and example and love that last year of our high school experience and the last year of his life. He died right before graduation, but he's someone I think about often and someone who inspired me to live life to the fullest, smile, and love with all your heart. He really is one of my superheros.

Here's an awesome newspaper article about Dave that tells more of his story. Trust me, it's something worth reading: )

5 comments:

Camie Rae said...

Thanks for posting this. He was amazing and I think about him all the time. You're awesome.

Gardiner said...

i loved that picture!! he was the coolest guy ever and is still an example to many. thanks for sharing.

~Wyatt~Brittney~Brecken~Oliver~ said...

made me BAWL!

Jeana said...

Thanks for posting this. What a great guy, and an amazing story of perseverance and courage.

Laura said...

I remember making copies of this picture and saying. He really was one of the greatest people ever.